In1948 the staff of the museum of Ireland was drawn to the discover about thirty years before at Bolinready of a stone lined grave, which was known to contain a potted vessel, in June 1965 the case was reopened and the discovery of acist. All stone made of local shales. Human Remains were found on the floor in the NE Corner as well as a Food vessel. The bones was that of a young adult male and also the fibula of a child 5-6 years of age. The food Vessel (Reg no 1965:78) O.S 6” sheet 16, 9.8cm from S., 25.6 cm from W.•The burial at Bolinready is typical of Irish Early Bronze age interments with Food Vessels. The burial rite and the characteristics of the vessel may taken together point to a date early in the period.•According to Lewis Topographical. (Circa 1840) Ballycanew was actually the main route from Gorey to Ferns, which would tie into the route where during 1798 according to St. Mogues Vestry. During this time buildings in the area were set alight. Compensation was given to the Villagers after the event. During 1840 the population in the area was 1167, with 345 living in the village. During 1798 a portion of the COI wall was demolished, and later rebuilt. A market also too place every April 23rd, July 25th, September 21st October 2nd and November 30th for Cattle.•According to Griffiths Valuation (1885) The Business in the area included, A Small Tannery, and a grist mill help to provide occupation for the people. The houses are slated and in good condition. He describes “many years ago, during an excavation in a Danish fort near Ballycanew, incinerated human remains were found in clay urns.•Fr.Michael Murphy was also Parish Priest in Ballycanew up to the Battle of Arklow where he was killed. His grave is currently in Ballyellis (Blackwater)•Fossy Tackleburry was an important Missionary man from the village of Ballycanew, was instrumental in bring a Wesylan Church in the area, which was in fact the remains of the Catholic Church where Fr. Michael Murphy was Parish Priest. The Building had been burned during the Fires started in the village during 1798.•So at present, we can concur that settlement was here 2500/500 BC for the Bronze Age,and prior to 1885 the remains of a Danish Fort was present in the area.
The History Trail, in Ireland’s Ancient East, provides great history of a Rural Village located in Gorey, and the North Wexford Area.